Tuesday, August 11, 2009

New Beginnings

So... I'm not new to Eve... nor am I new to WormHoles... but I AM new to a life solely dedicated to plundering WormHoles for all they are worth. By all they are worth, I mean the ancient technology available from the sleepers (which can be pretty shiny) as well as the much more modern (and generally much shinier) deepspace / faction fittings of the other pilots trying to salvage Sleeper technology.

I've done a fair amount of carebearing in WormHoles and bought myself some very shiny fittings on some very expensive ships. Between my fellow capsuleer friends and I we can pretty easily clear 1.5 billion (hold pinky to corner of mouth while saying... it's cooler that way) in 5-6 hours. Split that two ways and that's still pretty good isk for the time invested.

The above being said, after awhile, even the most lucrative of isk printing methodologies begins to feel like work. And so now I will use the fruits of my labor to make similar labor much more difficult for others who would like to duplicate my efforts.

Specifically, I'm now turning to full time WHorage (WormHole Piracy). I'm using a pilot in a Proteus (yes... carebearing in WormHoles really IS that profitable) that is scanning for targets and then myself (GenePool) in a variety of ships as necessary to make life miserable for others. I also have a couple other pilots that occasionally join in the fun for maximum carnage.

Last night started off slow but got more interesting as the night progressed.

(editor's note: I didn't decide to write this blog until after last night so this initial version will not have much in the way of screenshots and/or video. I'll work on correcting that in the future)

I scanned down a few wormholes with little to no action (a jaguar helped an imicus escape after he lost all his probes... I almost puked at how friendly they were to each other but the foreshadowing is impossible to ignore at this point) but I never had the opportunity to fire rounds in anger.

Finally after my partner in crime decided to dock up for the night I found a wormhole with a target. Sleeper wrecks were on scan, and a catalyst was doing it's best to salvage them. I quickly probed him out and warped in on him. Unfortunately, he was aligned and got into warp before I was able to put a point on him. Fortunately for me though, he warped to the WH I'd just come in after him from.

I chased, but he jumped through before I could tackle. As I was lamenting my total failure as a pirate a new ship showed up on the overview. It was the pride of the Caldari Navy in the form of one of their special edition Raven class battleships. And even better, the CNR decided to start shooting at my Proteus. As the Raven was nearing 50% shields (and my armor was starting to get scratched) I jumped through the portal to attempt to bump the Raven off of the WormHole. I hit him, but apparently not hard enough as he was able to jump at 50% armor.

Again... total failure.

Pro Tip: The Salvaging Destroyer didn't kill those sleepers himself. Patience will likely lead a better target to show himself soon!

At this point, I jumped back through the WormHole in my gank battleship only to have it close behind me. Good thing the proteus has the probing subsystem fit. With a sigh, I started scanning for a new exit.

As I was scanning, another Raven (non Caldari Navy version) showed up on my overview (apparently trying to leave through the now closed wormhole). Right as I was about to decloak to tackle this new target a Hurricane and a Megathron showed up as well. Probably better that I was slow in this case.

Fast Forward an hour or so... I had scanned down over 40 sigs to find that the current WormHole I was in (a class 2) only had 3 other WHs in it. One leads to a class 5, one leads to 0.0 (Tenal) and one lead to another class 2. The whole time I was praying for a high-sec entrance so I could get back in with some backup to kill these 2 BSs and the cane. It was maddening watching the sleeper wrecks pile up on scan but not having the firepower to kill them before they ganged up on me. :/

I ended up jumping through the WH to the new Class 2 to look for a high-sec exit there.

Fast Forward another hour and another 30-35 sigs to find out that this second WH had the same exits as above. The good news is that this 0.0 exit was to Cloud Ring only 2 jumps from Empire and the proteus was cloaky and bubble immune. Even with 2 gate camps involving 2 dictors and a hictor it was easy enough to get back to hi sec.

Proteus > Eris + Sabre + Phobos!


So... poking my head back into the same wormholes again I found a Myrmidon that was gas mining. Easy kill.. T2 fit... no drama and felt good to finally get a kill.
Poor guy was barely one month old... I almost felt bad for him.... almost...
Welcome to Eve little buddy...


2009.08.11 06:19
Victim: Nils Bhaltair
Corp: Federal Navy Academy
Alliance: None
Faction: NONE
Destroyed: Myrmidon
System: J130616
Security: 0.0
Damage Taken: 14275

Involved parties:
Name: Anonymous Probing Alt to remain unnamed
Ship: Proteus
Weapon: Heavy Neutron Blaster II
Damage Done: 14275

Destroyed items:
Core Probe Launcher I
Gas Cloud Harvester I
Gas Cloud Harvester I
Salvager I
Core Scanner Probe I
Core Scanner Probe I
Core Scanner Probe I
Core Scanner Probe I
Cap Recharger II
N-Type Kinetic Hardener I
Damage Control II
N-Type Explosive Hardener I
Medium Armor Repairer II
Fullerite-C32, Qty: 67 (Cargo)
Reinforced Metal Scraps, Qty: 12 (Cargo)
Modified Fluid Router, Qty: 27 (Cargo)
Neural Network Analyzer, Qty: 8 (Cargo)

Dropped items:
Gas Cloud Harvester I
10MN Afterburner II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
N-Type Thermic Hardener I
Electromechanical Hull Sheeting, Qty: 18 (Cargo)
Melted Nanoribbons (Cargo)
Sleeper Data Library, Qty: 8 (Cargo)
Heuristic Selfassemblers (Cargo)
Ancient Coordinates Database, Qty: 4 (Cargo)
Powdered C-540 Graphite, Qty: 3 (Cargo)

(about 12-15m in loot.... killing sleepers is much more profitable than "protecting them" so far)

As I was looting that wreck a Loki and a Tengu came in after me. I wasn't so sure about that fight with a single Proteus and another Battleship on my side (especially since it seemed likely that they would have a third pilot in a Falcon in their gang) so I decided to use the first battleship as a bait ship while I took the Proteus pilot to get into another Battleship to be sure I would get the outcome I wanted.

The Loki and Tengu chased my lone battleship around the system but managed to give up right as I was jumping my second battleship into the WormHole. (In hindsight I wish I'd taken the fight with the single battleship as I'm reasonably confident I could've killed at least one of the T3 ships and it would've been a fair trade).

The bad news there was that I sent the first battleship back through the wormhole only to have it collapse behind me leaving the second battleship stranded.

Without probes.... GAH!

Well.. what else is a WHorage Pirate to do?

I renamed my Hyperion Gassie Gas and parked it near the can with 632 C-32 Fullerite from the dead myrm, scooped the corpse from the myrm wreck, popped the myrm wreck.. and pretended to gas mine.

I'm hopeful I'll get some comedy killmails from the deal as opposed to just having to self-destruct to collect the insurance.

Either way it was an eventful first night in a new life of crime where there is no punishment...

Worst case, I'll self-destruct, collect the insurance, pod jump back to k-space (ironically... the ability to suicide is a lifesaver) and start this all over again in a few hours.

Stay tuned for future installments which will include Concord Sanctioned hits on young capsuleers doing work for the man (level 4 mission agents) in ships that cost way too much for their own good... soon with pictures and hopefully video..

No comments:

Post a Comment