Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My Precioussssss.... (not so much)

So... round 2 starts off with... well... more scanning.. that's how pretty much every night of WHorage begins tbh.


I vowed to myself that I'd not let opportunities for kills pass me by, I'd remember that they were the carebear and I was the killer; that their instincts were to run and mine were to charge; and I learned the hard way that they also know absolutely nothing about fitting ships.


But I'm getting ahead of myself.


The first few wormholes I jumped into were pretty dead. But then I spied a Myrmidon in a Ladar site. This is getting to be a trend. Myrmidon's seem to be popular for gas miners. I guess it's not a bad choice, but it definitely makes for some comedy fits!







This guy was taking hits of up to 1500 on his armor the whole fight (ok... that makes it sound like it lasted longer than it did). In any case, he quickly popped and the mail looked something like this:


2009.08.12 00:30:00
Victim: Dominion5218
Corp: Unauthorized Chaos
Alliance: Overtime Alliance
Faction: NONE

Destroyed: Myrmidon
System: J145851
Security: 0.0
Damage Taken: 14938

Involved parties:
Name: Me again....
Security: -1.2
Ship: Proteus
Weapon: Heavy Neutron Blaster II
Damage Done: 10681

Destroyed items:
Gas Cloud Harvester I
Antimatter Charge M, Qty: 62
250mm Carbide Railgun I
Cap Recharger II
Expanded Cargohold II, Qty: 2
10MN Afterburner I
Antimatter Charge M, Qty: 818 (Cargo)

Dropped items:
Acolyte I (Drone Bay)
Hobgoblin I (Drone Bay)
Gas Cloud Harvester I, Qty: 2
Neural Network Analyzer, Qty: 4 (Cargo)
Medium Armor Repairer I
Expanded Probe Launcher I
Co-Processor II
250mm Carbide Railgun I
Iridium Charge M, Qty: 970 (Cargo)
Core Scanner Probe I, Qty: 25
Survey Scanner I
Sleeper Data Library, Qty: 2 (Cargo)
Expanded Cargohold II, Qty: 2
Hammerhead I (Drone Bay)


Nothing eventful there, but it got the blood flowing a little less sluggishly.


Next up was a hurricane that was trying to run anomalies. This one was definitely more entertaining as the friendly victim convo'd me as the kill was going down.



(Did I mention how pretty the Proteus is?)




This guy is actually fit pretty interestingly and he tanked surprisingly well. It's a shame (for his sake, not for mine) he was arty fit so he never really did any damage to me.




So anyway... back to the convo which started after I tackled him but before I'd demonstrated my ability to break his tank.




carigan mathor > can i help yoi?
Me > You already are
Me > is there anything I can do for you?
carigan mathor > i will pay you a ransom if you would prefer
carigan mathor > i would rather not lose this ship
Me > nice shield tank :)
carigan mathor > thanks i guess




(editor's note: things are getting bit dicey for him at this point. the 35% regen point is nearing)




me > passive shield tank with a nice recharge :)
carigan mathor > mm yeah
carigan mathor > not good enough




(ed note: switching from ECM to damage drones pushed him over the top)




me > how much did you want to pay in ransom :)
carigan mathor > name it




(at this point I'm thinking... woohoo... DG Invulns etc)



carigan mathor > 30?




(and just that quickly my hopes were dashed)



carigan mathor > 60?
Me > I was thinking like 300 :p
Me > but I'll pass

(I don't like to ransom anyway... it always leaves me wondering what I could've had)




[Hurricane, carigan mathor's Hurricane]
Beta Reactor Control: Shield Power Relay I
Beta Reactor Control: Shield Power Relay I
Beta Reactor Control: Shield Power Relay I
Beta Reactor Control: Shield Power Relay I
Beta Reactor Control: Shield Power Relay I

Fourier Transform I Tracking Program

Large F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
Large F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
Large F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
V-M15 Braced Multispectral Shield Matrix

650mm Medium Gallium I Cannon,EMP M
650mm Medium Gallium I Cannon,EMP M
650mm Medium Gallium I Cannon,EMP M
650mm Medium Gallium I Cannon,EMP M
Core Probe Launcher I,Core Scanner Probe I
Advanced 'Limos' Heavy Missile Bay I,Scourge Heavy Missile
Advanced 'Limos' Heavy Missile Bay I,Scourge Heavy Missile
Advanced 'Limos' Heavy Missile Bay I,Scourge Heavy Missile

Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Core Defence Field Purger I
Core Defence Field Purger I




In the end only one of the shield relays dropped and the rest of the loot was pretty uneventful. But still.. props to this guy for a good smart fitting!



So after the loot was taken and the mail was posted, we deviated into talking about the wisdom of using the directional scanner on a more regular basis.



carigan mathor > tbh i really didnt expect to find anyone else in WH space


Yeah... they'll learn... :)




In any case... this was entertaining and was definitely an interesting Hurricane fit. EFT says it'll tank up to 400 dps theoretically...




At his age, I doubt carigan has quite that much dps tanked... but I can attest to it taking awhile to wear him down.




Now... this was wear the real fun began!



I jumped into a WH and started my scan to see a Golem class Marauder, a Typhoon, a Dominix, and a Hurricane doing an anomaly.



I'm almost embarassed to admit it, but I have done enough wormholes (carebear style) myself to know which anomaly they were doing based on the pattern of wrecks as they showed up on scan.




The good news was, this saved me from having to launch probes to find them as I didn't have to sort through signatures using the ship scanner. I could just warp straight to targets.



(the bad news is I TOTALLY forgot to take screenshots with the excitement of the kill)




I warped in at 40km off to see the Golem working on the end of the second spawn out of three with the typhoon and domi about 30km off of him.




The Golem was quite obviously going to be primary, so I started slow-boating towards him.

In the mean time, I'm making sure the other pilots are positioned for the kill. I brought a Maelstrom and a Scorpion with me. I was a bit worried about how much DPS would land on my sweet little Proteus, so I decided to tackle with the Maelstrom when the time for that came.

As they finished the last spawn, the hurricane started salvaging so I became less worried about his dps output. The Golem was slowboating away from the rest of the ships, but I was still having to be alert because the Golem seemed to be tractoring in all the wrecks which kept me on my toes making sure I stayed out of range.




Finally I mouthed 'Carpe Scrotum' to myself and went for it.




Maelstrom and Scorpion jumped through the wormhole and warped to the cloaked Proteus at 10km. This put them both about 15km off of the Golem and the Maelstrom immediately put a point and some EMP L into the Golem's shields. They were dropping fairly quickly as the Scorpion started trying to hand out jams.




Fortunately for me (it could have been dicey otherwise) the Typhoon immediately warped out. (good ole carebear instincts)



The Domi launched Heavy Shield Maintenance drones in a valiant attempt to save his friend. In the end, the Golem went down hard right as the Typhoon decided to come help his friend. I was unable to switch points quickly enough to the get the Typhoon also (and the Domi had remained at range the entire time) but I was at least close enough to loot the Golem right away.




Yay!!!!!! PROFIT!!!!





[Golem, Modi Kynjarlson's Golem]
Ballistic Control System II
Ballistic Control System II
Power Diagnostic System II
Power Diagnostic System II

X-Large Clarity Ward Booster I (seriously? T1 and not even Meta 4?)
Cap Recharger II
Invulnerability Field II
Invulnerability Field II
Photon Scattering Field II
Shield Boost Amplifier I (are you kidding me?)
Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron

Large 'Solace' I Remote Bulwark Reconstruction
Core Probe Launcher I,Sisters Core Scanner Probe
Siege Missile Launcher II,Mjolnir Javelin Torpedo
Siege Missile Launcher II,Mjolnir Javelin Torpedo
Siege Missile Launcher II,Mjolnir Javelin Torpedo
Siege Missile Launcher II,Mjolnir Javelin Torpedo
Small Tractor Beam I

Hydraulic Bay Thrusters I
Rocket Fuel Cache Partition I

Medium Armor Maintenance Bot I x1
Medium Armor Maintenance Bot I x1
Medium Armor Maintenance Bot I x1
Warrior II x1
Warrior II x1






Or not..... Who the heck spends over 900mil on a ship and less than 50m on the fittings?




I would post the mail so you can see what dropped... but it really doesn't matter does it?




I went from having visions of isk dancing in my head to.... well.... pretty stoked I'd nailed a Golem kill!

So at this point I decided to go fit a salvager on the Proteus and hope I'd at least get some decent salvage from the deal. Maybe enough to cover ammo costs at least.

03:39:58 Notify You successfully salvage from the Caldari Elite Battleship Wreck. Unfortunately there was nothing to be salvaged.

Owned again.... :(


Still.. these guys even failed at the comedy whining in chat logs. I couldn't get them to speak up much.




That's ok! The second night of WHorage was definitely more eventful than the first.




Stay tuned... and feel free to comment to tell me what aspects you like, what you don't (more stalking detail or just the kills as an example... or... should I post more of the chat logs etc)


(editor's note: the spacing kept jamming the text together unless I put in two spaces in which case it spread it WAY farther out. I think having too much space is better than too little so I'm going to go with it this way)

1 comment:

  1. tackled and jammed, not much to do but get filled with holes.
    one downside of the heavy tank is its lack of pew pew and anti pew pew.
    still glad to see you didnt get all my shiny relays :p
    and thanks for all the advice btw

    ReplyDelete