Sunday, July 4, 2010

Been a little while (and arrogance and greed are still bad)

When last I posted here, I'd finally managed to join a carebear corporation with my new pilot.

It was a corporation of one member who flew a faction fitted golem.

The reason the posts died off is that that other pilot was suddenly nowhere to be found. For three months he was totally AWOL.

So I went back to doing other things.

I had a few great fights along the way like this one where I found and scouted a fleet in to kill two carriers and a host of RR BSs trying to keep them alive (full battle report on SHC):

http://www.freelancerunion.co.uk/eve-killboard/?a=kill_related&kll_id=25150

Edit: fmercury FC'd this fight and made a video of the 2 x Carriers going down. Watch it here:

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/VidContainer/wh_carrier.wmv


and this one where I found and killed 2 T3s and their support totally solo (well, dual boxing):

http://www.freelancerunion.co.uk/eve-killboard/?a=kill_related&kll_id=25174

but I really wanted to finish my unfinished business.

So, when the guy in the golem finally showed up again I jumped at the chance.

I fitted a maelstrom with 3 Heavy Neuts, 3 Caldari specific ECM modules, 2 signal distortion amps, and buffer tanked the lows.

He explained that he'd gone missing because his old golem had been suicide ganked on a gate while he was AFK. He had only just come back, but had bought a new golem with a Gist C-Type X-Large Shield Booster and some other faction goodies.

$$$ signs started dancing in my eyes as he fleeted me up and we warped to a mission.

But this is where I made my mistake. This pilot in the Maelstrom is still very new and the DPS is anemic at best. Aggressing the golem as soon as we came out of warp as opposed to waiting for mission aggro to go to him was not the best of ideas.

As it was - I landed a few jams but not enough. Even with 2 x 1600mm plates in the lows it only took him about 7 or 8 volleys to pop my poor maelstrom.

He was at about 40% armor when I exploded and that was with only my pitiful dps so if I'd waited until we'd gotten close enough for the rats to actually aggress then I'd have gotten my kill and potentially my faction goodies.

Oh well - very little time wasted since I wasn't actually playing that character much but a valuable lesson learned.

I'll do better next time and there are still plenty of targets out there!

In the meantime - I've been focusing on my old tactics and protecting sleepers from those who would prey upon them.

Here lately, I've been experimenting with asking pilots to eject rather than going for killmails.

This has lead to some amusing results in that I've now netted myself 3 hulks, 2 drakes, 1 geddon and an ORCA in the last 2 weeks.

More on the Orca in my next post.

Edit: I'm unsure whether I want to focus my time on killing juicy targets in WHs or baiting missioners to their demise. Any comments on which you'd prefer to read about will definitely be taken into account as I'm trying to decide what to do to stay active.

Also, thanks to those who have looked me up in game recently and asked me to start posting again. I appreciate the kind words.

1 comment:

  1. There's some nice kills in this post. Especially well done on the two T3s. Great kill.

    And good try with the weird-fit Maelstrom. It's nice to see you posting again.

    ReplyDelete